Why am I so bad at blogging?
I started of with good intentions with the Blogging 101 course in January, and have posted something on my blog almost every day since. But it’s getting harder….
1. Sometimes I just don’t have the time! But if I don’t blog, my stats will go down… When it gets to 8pm, and I’ve not blogged, I’m getting desperate. What can I write about? I frantically scour the Internet for ideas. Shall I write a list of something? Shall I write a review of something? Shall I write about some where I’ve visited? Quick! It’s almost 9pm now…..
2. I have the bright idea of writing about how to do something. Like a recipe. Or a sewing project. But what I normally do, is forget to take photographs while I’m making the recipe, etc. So I start off gathering the ingredients for flapjacks, or fudge, or chicken casserole. Where’s my camera? I’ll use the iPad. Click! Then I get carried away weighing and measuring, adding to the bowl, mixing, and before you know it, I’m putting the dish into the oven to cook. Dang! I forgot to take more photos!
3. I decide to comment on some other blogs. I’ve read that this is crucial if you want people to like you back, and if you are lucky, they might follow you. I have forgotten which blogs I follow, and I’ve forgotten how find out who I follow. In desperation I resort to scrolling down some of my old posts to find any comments so I can comment back.
4. I decide to make my blog look more attractive. I experiment with some new themes , but I’m worried because some of my carefully designed home page seems to disappear randomly when I select a new theme. I panic. Where’s my Facebook widget gone? Where is my photo?
5. I think I need to know more about Twitter. I have a Twitter account, and my new blog posts get shown on my Twitter feed. But what else am I supposed to do? I know nothing! What should I say to my three followers?
6. Pinterest. Another mystery. Before I started a blog, I spent hours looking at Pinterest, making new boards for myself, finding beautiful pins about holidays in Bali, chocolate gateaux, adorable kittens. I always wonder how people make their Pinterest photos look so good? I manage to pin one of my recent blog posts to one of my Pinterest boards. But how do I get people to look at it? I search for a tag which relates to something on my board on Pinterest. Nothing happens, I can’t find it, I’m swamped by other pins on the same topic which are more beautiful and interesting than mine…
7. I schedule a post to appear at 9pm. I’ve read that the time you post is very important. I don’t get this. If the best time to post is 9pm, is this just in my country, or worldwide? What about different time zones? If it’s 9pm here, it will be 3pm or 8am elsewhere. Does this matter? Who knows…..?
8. I look at my statistics for the fifth time this evening. It’s interesting to see that my silly post about cats gets twice as many likes than a serious post about a newspaper article.
9. I find some popular blogs about how to make your blog more popular…… I think I will write a list about why my blog isn’t popular…..